Regional ForesightMonetary & Financial ForesightAfrica Franc Zone & European EMU
The specificity of the monetary regime of the Franc Zone is probably the origin of its sustainable operation: it has preserved the Member countries of the downward trend in flows of the capitaix to Africa.
- mechanical adjustment: this is the trend scenario where the bulk of the mechanisms of the Franc Zone remains entact.
- a contratstee variant where countries gain their monetary sovereignty with flexible and differentiated regimes.
- a structural change scenario where fourteen African countries retain their monetary unit: ls accompanying measures progressively lead to ensure the convertibility of their currency.
- the assessment of the abilities of the franc zone, currency unions and States to anticipate the impact
- study the feasibility of a monetary union between the 14 States;
- the institutionalization of the meeting of the Finance Ministers by giving it a legal capacity to negotiate for all States,
- an initiative of the EC to help the spays convert the impact of the communaiteires financing facilities and new investment projects.
Zone Franc Africa Scenarios
Potential impact of the evolution of the European monetary system on the Member countries of the Franc Zone African financial and monetary Regime
Report submitted to ECA, 1990
Overview of the situation
The trend scenario
A contrasting scenario: monetary sovereignty
A scenario of structural change
An extreme scenario
CFA Franc Zone: Structural Analysis
European EMU: structural analysis
E/ECA/TRADE/91/33 synthesis report; 1991
FCFA Zone Foresight
Full Text, 1994
I. Introductions and thanks
II. CFA Franc Zone: Structural analysis
III. European EMU: structural analysis
IV. CFA Franc Zone Scenarios
V. EMU Africa: towards a regional mandate
Potrntial Impact of the Evolution of the European Monetary System on the Monetary and Financial Regime of African Franc Area Member Countries; 1990
A. Overview of the situation
B. The trend scenario
C. A contrasting scenario: monetary sovereignty
D. A scenario of structural change
E. An extreme scenario